That’s not what it’s about

If you’re not in the mood for a rant…stop right here, hahah.

I have been meaning to write this for a while, but I couldn’t really think of a way to do it without singling someone out and driving them into the ground. As I begin writing this, I’m still not sure how I am going to do it. Usually my thoughts come out better on “paper.” So here we go.

A few weeks back, someone made a comment to me that implied that they believe the only reason that I (or possibly anyone) work out, work hard and push my body to the limits, is because I am trying to correct something that I think is wrong with it. That I run to be thin. That I do it because I hate the way I look. Not only that, but this person implied that all the work I’m doing isn’t working. I’ll just never be perfect.

NEWSFLASH.

NEWS.

EFFING.

FLASH.

This is completely and utterly, 100% incorrect, and entirely offensive. Let me count the ways.

1. I love my body, which is why I take care of it. I know this might boggle your mind, but it really is a thing.

2. If you were a runner, you would understand that running actually fixes a million things. None of which are visible.

3. I enjoy working out. It is not punishment for eating too many cupcakes. It is a reward and a privilege. The more I do it, the longer I will be able. That’s what gets me up every morning.

Luckily, in recent years I have come to understand that comments such as this say a lot more about the person who says them than they do about me. While I was offended, I did not take it personally. It didn’t affect my mood, or how I feel about myself in any way, not even for a moment. But I know that there are a large portion of women who would take this more offensively, and would be highly discouraged– especially those who are just starting out on their fitness journeys. That is what infuriates me the most. As women we need to support each other, and reassure each other that we understand the issues that we all face with body image, and that we believe that we are all strong and we are all beautiful. If women weren’t so critical of each other, we surely wouldn’t be so critical of ourselves.

I am beyond sick of people letting their insecurities take over, turning them into negativity; projected onto other people. If your friend or family member wants to go to bed early on Saturday night, because they want to run in the morning– praise them. If someone wants to have grilled chicken for lunch instead of pizza– let them be. If someone wants strawberries for dessert instead of ice cream– power to them. Don’t tell them that they’re “thin enough” or that “one rest day won’t kill them” or that “one scoop of ice cream won’t hurt.” We know that. We know all of that. But we will decide what we do with our bodies and when. No one needs the additional pressure of someone watching every move they make, while criticizing them. Even comments that aren’t overtly negative such as “wow, you are such a health nut” can be discouraging. I don’t bring attention to your burger, so don’t bring attention to my salad.

All I’m really saying here is, let’s take it back to grade 1, with what is arguably the most sensible quote of all time:

If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.

Thank you, Thumper.

So tell me, why do you workout?

Happy Friday!

Danielle

xo

Comments

1. Danielle you couldn’t have said it any better. I love this post and thank you for speaking up. You are absolutely right that as woman we have to support one another.

I workout because I want to be healthier and to live a longer and happier live. I want to set an example to my children and to my family and friends.

You are an inspiration.

Tiff

• Danielle says:

Thank you, Tiff!

You are doing a fantastic job setting an example, never let anyone discourage you. Keep going!

2. Omg! Danielle I was just having a very similar conversation with my boyfriend on the way home from dinner tonight, telling him how certain people in my life are always so concerned about my healthy lunches, and make comments while they’re wolfing down Chinese food and cake every day. It’s SO annoying to me that we have to dissect my lunch and fitness habits everyday, so other people can make themselves feel better about eating like shit and not working out. I agree 100% with everything you said in this rant and I love it. You are totally right to say everything you just said. You GO girl

• Danielle says:

Thank you! I know exactly what you are dealing with. All you can do is be persistent, and soon enough, they come asking for advice. Plus you can take comfort in knowing you are comfortable in your own skin, while clearly they are not. Stick to your guns!!!! xo

3. Thank you! I was a bit of a health nut entering college and found it frustrating the entire four years when my friends joked about my eating or races. I got I to a slump and never felt supported. We should indeed be encouraging of everyone and what they want to do. I think it’s interesting and enlightened ing that people’s negative comments are a reflection of what they may not be happy with. Their responses as a validation of themselves. I do enjoy a treat now and then but why does it have to be wrong to car a heaping bowl of vegetables for dinner than a cheeseburger? I will eat a cheeseburger when I want but don’t like feeling pressure to eat or do something to please those around me.

Love it and thanks for expressing the thoughts 🙂

• Danielle says:

Yes! Never take it personally– it’s always about them, not you. Keep doing your thing! Thanks for reading 🙂

4. I understand how you feel in this post. People often think I am “obsessed” with my workouts because I don’t like to miss them. Or when I sometimes do feel guilt about eating badly when I have worked so hard to look and feel how I am now. I have friends who don’t understand the lifestyle and the comments they make sometimes bother me too. Thanks for sharing.

5. Season Johnson says:

I work out because, as you said, it is a privilege. After 2 back surgeries, the fact that I can run amazes me. My body, though certainly not perfect after 3 babies, amazes me. I work out and choose to eat healthy foods because of those 3 babies. (Not babies anymore!) They are watching every move I make. So, yes, one rest day, or one bowl of ice cream won’t hurt, but habits are habits, and if I dadgummit don’t WANT to take a rest day, then I dadgummit shouldn’t be made to FEEL like something is “wrong” with me because I don’t want to take a rest day! You preach it, sister! I look forward to your updates; you help keep me motivated, so thank you!!

• Danielle says:

Aw, thank you!!

Hot damn, 3 babies are the best reason I can think of to workout and stay healthy! A great way to thank your body for giving you those babies in the first place as well!

6. I. FREAKING. LOVE. THIS. It’s sooooo true. I’ve been running for 15 years and I’ve heard it all. It used to really bug me, now I don’t give a rats ass. I just take it all with a grain of salt. I work out because I love the way it makes me feel. And if people keep thinking I’m 10 years younger than I actually am, I’m going to KEEP working out for as long as I can! 😀

7. Corinne says:

Love this post!
    I workout because it puts me in a good mood for the entire day.
    I workout because I want to keep my fitness for life.
    I workout because I love feeling strong.

8. how mean! i don’t know why people would even leave (negative) comments! ain’t nobody got time fo’ dat!!

i workout because i love the way it makes ME feel: strong, fit, healthy.
    keep doing you; get it girl!

• Danielle says:

Hahah, you are RIGHT, ain’t nobody got time for that.

People prefer trying to bring others down to their level, rather than working to bring themselves up, not our issue! Keep going!! Woo!

9. I’m really glad you wrote this post and good for you for not letting that person’s comments bring you down. We do need to support each other as women, and negativity just isn’t needed or healthy for that matter. I have tried to steer myself clear of negative people for awhile now and my quality of life is so much better.

The good news is that after reading that person’s ridiculous comment, I’m sure you had a wicked workout fueled by the anger they caused you. haha, so there is a bright side! Keep up the great work girl!

10. OMG me and my best friend were talking about this today. We are vegan and I DO NOT try to rub it in people’s faces, but when someone offers me something and I say no I can’t eat it because I’m Vegan then apparently they all become experts on veganism, protein, and dairy. I just can’t handle the comments from people sometimes! But then I have to remember that this my journey and no one has to understand it but me! 🙂

• Danielle says:

HAHAH, I know exactly what you mean. And then I bet you get “but where do you get your protein?” When you know half of these people couldn’t count protein grams from a hole in the wall.

Ain’t nobody got time for that.