STWM Race Recap!


I really wanted to get this up sooner, but this week has been the busiest one in a long time. It’s going to be like this for the next few weeks, until after a huge event we are doing at work, wah.

So! Onto the race recap! How I got halfie medal #8:

Saturday night I carbo-loaded like it was going out of style with some whole wheat pasta and multigrain bread (this is why I run…hah). I got to bed a little later than I wanted, around 11:30pm, and my alarm went off at 5:30am. I was planning to snooze it a few times, but pre-race nerves got the best of me and I was up in no time.

For breakfast I had a 1/2 cup of oats, a 1/2 cup of liquid egg whites, and a whole banana mashed in the oats. I was so not hungry at that time, but I threw it back anyway along with a 1/2 litre of water.

I checked the weather forecast and saw that they were 100% calling for rain. I decided to go back on my plan to wear my new Vibrams, and instead I bandaged up my feet and toes like cray, and wore the old pair full of holes.

We left the house around 7am and it was POURRRING rain. I was not excited. Some traffic and a port-a-potty stop later, and I was at the start line. I got in my coral and got PUMPED UP. The rain had lightened up a bit I was really excited to race!

Before the race I had kind of decided I wanted to try for a negative split (meaning I wanted to run the 2nd half of the race faster than the 1st half) so I started the race nice and easy at a comfortable pace, planning to kick it up a notch at the 10km point or so.

After the first 6km I decided to take the first of four SaltStick capsules I was planning to take during the race. I pulled out my zip-lock baggie with the capsules inside and ripped it open…a little too enthusiastically, because all but 1 capsule ended up on the road. Hah, woops. So much for that review this week.

At kilometer 7 I saw my awesome cheering squad! My 3 sisters, Jess, Laurel and Natalie + my brother-in-law Alex + Laurel’s boyfriend Rob (Josh was studying), gave me a boost of energy for the next few kilometres!

I was trekking along, feeling good, and I passed the 10km mark at 55:52. I had a gel pack and kept on my way, picking up the pace.

By kilometre 16 my feet were throbbing and I was starting to lose steam, but keeping a good pace. I saw my cheering squad once again and tossed my CamelBak to lose the extra weight. I also threw back my 3rd and final Carb Boom gel.

The last 4-5km were completely mental. I totally zoned out and talked to myself the entire time, sometimes out loud. Yes I’m a weirdo, hah. I told myself this was what I had trained for, the hard part. If it was going to stay easy, I wouldn’t have bothered with it. I reminded myself to keep my mind strong to keep my body feeling the same.

Keeping an eye on my watch I knew that a PR was possible, but I would have to pick up the pace a bit more to do it. My big toe on my left foot was THROBBING and I knew that I had some major blister action going on. I kept running strong anyway.

But alas, by kilometre 19 I had to accept that I wasn’t going to PR. I was, however, going to run a respectable sub 2-hour time. I motored on and crossed the finish line. I stopped my watch (eventually) and it read 1:56:50. As I hobbled through the chute, I was unable to put weight on my big toe, but I was thrilled to be done!

I later realized that my Garmin had TRIPPED OUTTT during the race and actually stopped timing at some point for a short period of time, just long enough to throw me completely off my time estimate. In the end my official chip time was actually 1:57:19. A little disappointing but not bad, it was still my second fastest half marathon time ever! I was only off my PR 1 minute and 55 seconds. I’ll take it! Especially with these battle wounds:

This has never happened to me before! I think it was because of the rain. Bleh. After the race I met up with my sisters and co. and we went for lunch! My not-so-nutrient dense post-race meal consisted of…pure cheese.

I ate about 1/3 of this because I wanted to move on to bigger and better things aka. FROYO. I swear these is some froyo underneath all of the peanut butter toppings…

So I now realize that I held back too much in the first half of the race. I think if had stuck to the pace I originally planned I would have hit a PR. That being said, I am already registered for another half on November 4th so I will just have to try again! I took it really easy this week (two small easy workouts) and I think I’ll go for a small run this weekend. Then I’ll redo my last two weeks of race training from my last schedule to get prepare to race all over again. Wee!

What’s your favourite post-race treat?

Have a great weekend!







  1. Still an awesome time girl! That toe looks painful 🙁 Just curious, how much water do you tend to drink in the days leading up to your race? I’m still trying to figure out a good amount for myself.

    • Thanks girl! I aim for a gallon a day usually and in the few days leading up to the race I do minimum 4L a day so that on the actual race day I can take it easier to minimize chance of pee breaks!

  2. Still a great time girlie! And that toe looks so sore! Eep!
    I also ate a ton of cheese post-race – delicious!

  3. Oh my heavens, your poor feet! I hope they are feeling much better for you now girl. Even though you didn’t PR, you still had an awesome race. 🙂

  4. Wooo congrats! That is a great time still! Sorry about your feet, ouch!

  5. WOAH!!!!! holy battle wounds. I can’t believe you ran that fast in pain! you would’ve SMOKED your goals and pr’d no probs if it hadn’t been for those wounds. OUCH!!!!

    I am so proud of you – Scotia is such a great race 🙂 I hope to do the half there next year and then my first full at Niagara 🙂

  6. Wow i am so impressed with you reading this! I JUST started out running, so i can’t imagine ever being able to run as long as you and through the same conditions! You are a major motivation girl! Congrats on the race, hope your poor feet are okay!!


  1. […] feel like Superman, why wouldn’t I keep using them? I will say that by the 16th kilometre in my race last weekend, I was too far gone and I really didn’t feel any effects, but I was gunning […]

  2. […] legit I have run once since my race on October 14th. I have still worked out 3-4x a week but I haven’t been running! And I am […]

  3. […] sub 1:55. In typical runner fashion, when I didn’t hit my goal I had 100000 excuses like rain and blisters. BUT, I wasn’t too crushed because I still had a great run, and I knew I would have another […]

  4. […] #1: SO, I initially wanted to try these out during the Scotiabank Waterfron Half Marathon. I had them in a zip lock baggy and I when I busted it out around kilometer 6 and tore it […]